Hi Alex,

2011/1/31 Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurg...@gmail.com>:
> Le 31/01/11 16:41, Sigrid Carrera a écrit :
>
> Hi Sigrid,
>

>> Oh, when I said I want to proofread some documentation, I was told,
>> that whatever I correct, has to be proofread again by a native english
>> speaker. So clearly, my contribution there was not welcome.
>
> Hmm, I wouldn't consider it like that, perhaps you are taking things too
> personally. If I write documentation in French, or German (which I can,
> I just don't do it very often), I would expect a native mother tongue
> speaker to proofread and correct it as necessary. Obviously, if no one
> volunteers up to do it, then well that's just tough and the document
> would go "live" with all its faults and potentially awkward turns of
> phrase. Even if I were to draft in English, I would at least expect
> someone to go over it and check for spelling mistakes, dropped words,
> "brain outages" and the like, just for the sake of completeness. I don't
> find that hard to accept, if the final document reads well for the
> intended audience.

Perhaps. But from the tone of that said email I got the impression,
that my work isn't wanted. If I translate something say from German to
English, yes I would want someone else to proofread, because I am too
much in German grammar mode and I know, that thhis is not how a native
English speaker would write that content. But I am quite confident,
that when I edit a text, that has been created / edited by a native
speaker, I won't change grammar.

> Ultimately, it would only take one person to have an account there to be
> the go-between. On the other hand, why doesn't ODFAuthors have something
> like you are suggesting for those working with Alfresco ? The effort
> works both ways IMHO. Why should those who want to work with Alfresco
> have to have an account with ODFAuthors ?

They don't. Jean is nice enough to announce when there are chapters
done and ready for rebranding. Heck, the last set was uploaded by Jean
to Alfresco.

> Ideally, both systems could either have liaison officers, or some form
> of automatic notification system. I don't really see why the onus should
> be on the Alfresco system to do so when ODFAuthors does not (as far as I
> know, but please correct me if I'm wrong). Or, as I mentioned in my
> other post, the native language projects could have their own wiki page
> which would keep people abreast of who is doing what - this would
> require the documentation authors to submit what they are doing to the
> LibO wiki page native language coordinator or update it themselves. The
> French N-L group already have such a page.

That's right. A wiki page would be good. But this also means, that the
wiki page needs to have the documents in question. Just a list saying
"I'm working on this document" doesn't do it if I have no idea where I
can find the "original" document, that I'm going to translate.

Sigrid