On Saturday, March 15, 2014 04:08:59 PM you wrote:
> > Jean,
> >
> > Is it possible to get Amazon.com to stock hard/soft copy and Google Books
> > to stock soft copy (they already support PDF in addition to epub.) It
> > would would not be bad to see if Barnes and Noble as well as Kobo would
> > also stock the soft copy for their Ebook Readers as well. This would
> > certainly assist with in reaching new users particularly if they are
> > provided for free and would provide some great advertising as well.
> >
> > I know Amazon and Google have programs to self publish but I have not
> > actually tried them out though.
> >
> > Is anyone interested is publishing them in epub or mobi? I would like to
> > learn how to format and produce epub so if someone knows how and wants to
> > lead this then I am willing to port some chapters!
> >
> > Tim
>
> Tim,
> As I have said on previous occasions when this topic came up: yes, it
> is possible to get printed books and ebooks (in several formats) to be
> stocked by Amazon and others. Lulu (where we publish our books) will
> take care of it for us (previously there was a fee, but now there is
> not). There is some extra work involved that sounds easy but is not. I
> have begun taking steps to do this for the v4.2 books.
>
> Amazon's self-publishing program (I don't know about Google's) has
> cost, taxation, and other problems for us that I don't have the energy
> to describe in detail right now. I personally will not consider using
> them, but others can pursue this if they wish to.
>
> We can, of course, produce our own ebooks (epub, mobi, other formats)
> from chapters and/or full books with or without Lulu's help, and
> publish them on our own wiki and website along with the ODTs and PDFs
> for users to download at no cost.
>
> Dan Lewis has done some work converting files to epub. He has said
> that the latest version of Calibre does a much better and easier job
> of converting our files than earlier versions did. I don't think Dan
> is available to lead an effort to do major conversions, but that's for
> him to say.
> ev
> IMO we need to make some changes to our template to make the
> conversion process easier and give better results. I have documented
> some of this somewhere. You might be able to find it by searching the
> archives for this list, or it might be on the wiki. IIRC, mainly the
> changes involve getting rid of our custom style names wherever
> possible and using the built-in style names instead.
>
> This change in style names is part of the plan to produce a new
> template for our books, but that plan keeps getting stalled for
> various reasons. Also, work on the template over the past few years
> seems to have focused on changes that affect mainly the appearance of
> the resulting PDFs & printed books and not on changes that affect the
> conversion process to other formats.
>
> --Jean

Jean,

I decided I wanted to go ahead and try out The Google Books Partnership
Publishing, I went ahead and published The LibreOffice 4.0 Getting Started
Guide
in its official non-modified state to Google Books and Google Play for the low
price of FREE with no DRM. Google Is currently processing it for full text
search/indexing it is set to become available immediately upon finishing and it
will be available in PDF download format from Google Play/Books as well. I was
also able to advertise the printed version from Lulu as well.

I will send out the URL for it when I goes online, The process is pretty fast
and relatively easy.

I will look at publishing the rest of them after I see how this one turns out.

Also the partnership Publishing accounts can be configured for multiple
administrators to ease management/updates etc.

Tim