On Saturday, March 15, 2014 03:24:11 AM you wrote:

> > > Tim,
> > > As I have said on previous occasions when this topic came up: yes, it
> > > is possible to get printed books and ebooks (in several formats) to be
> > > stocked by Amazon and others. Lulu (where we publish our books) will
> > > take care of it for us (previously there was a fee, but now there is
> > > not). There is some extra work involved that sounds easy but is not. I
> > > have begun taking steps to do this for the v4.2 books.
> > >
> > > Amazon's self-publishing program (I don't know about Google's) has
> > > cost, taxation, and other problems for us that I don't have the energy
> > > to describe in detail right now. I personally will not consider using
> > > them, but others can pursue this if they wish to.
> > >
> > > We can, of course, produce our own ebooks (epub, mobi, other formats)
> > > from chapters and/or full books with or without Lulu's help, and
> > > publish them on our own wiki and website along with the ODTs and PDFs
> > > for users to download at no cost.
> > >
> > > Dan Lewis has done some work converting files to epub. He has said
> > > that the latest version of Calibre does a much better and easier job
> > > of converting our files than earlier versions did. I don't think Dan
> > > is available to lead an effort to do major conversions, but that's for
> > > him to say.
> > > ev
> > > IMO we need to make some changes to our template to make the
> > > conversion process easier and give better results. I have documented
> > > some of this somewhere. You might be able to find it by searching the
> > > archives for this list, or it might be on the wiki. IIRC, mainly the
> > > changes involve getting rid of our custom style names wherever
> > > possible and using the built-in style names instead.
> > >
> > > This change in style names is part of the plan to produce a new
> > > template for our books, but that plan keeps getting stalled for
> > > various reasons. Also, work on the template over the past few years
> > > seems to have focused on changes that affect mainly the appearance of
> > > the resulting PDFs & printed books and not on changes that affect the
> > > conversion process to other formats.
> > >
> > > --Jean
> >
> > Jean,
> >
> > I decided I wanted to go ahead and try out The Google Books Partnership
> > Publishing, I went ahead and published The LibreOffice 4.0 Getting Started
> > Guide in its official non-modified state to Google Books and Google Play
> > for the low price of FREE with no DRM. Google Is currently processing it
> > for full text search/indexing it is set to become available immediately
> > upon finishing and it will be available in PDF download format from Google
> > Play/Books as well. I was also able to advertise the printed version from
> > Lulu as well.
> >
> > I will send out the URL for it when I goes online, The process is pretty
> > fast and relatively easy.
> >
> > I will look at publishing the rest of them after I see how this one turns
> > out.

> [...]

Jean,

According to Google The getting started guide is now live and online in The
PE, US and VE sales regions. I am currently not able to located it though
through their search tools.

I did find that there is another group that has uploaded some but not all of
the manuals under the Google Play Books Textbooks. They are missing covers and
have other minor issues though but they did get ISBN Numbers assigned for them
though.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice_4_0.html?id=H3ennAEACAAJ

I will let everyone know when I am finished publishing all of them and they
actually show up in the content search.

Tim