Hello,

Sorry to butt in after being absent so long, but I'm worried about these
proposed rules.

I agree with rules to keep sentences and paragraphs short, breaking up long
sentences and paragraphs when possible. On the other hand, I'm uneasy about
rules like Peter's (1) and (2) stipulating maximum numbers of words or
sentences. If the numbers are intended as rules of thumb, they should be
rewritten to reflect this. If they are meant to be hard limits, it's easy
to imagine situations where following such a rule could make the result
harder to understand.

Second, I struggle to see how rules (3-5) would make translation easier, or
whether this is a good reason to implement them.

Regarding (4), if a translator's command of English is so poor that they
cannot understand common contractions, it seems doubtful that using
one-to-one replacements would make all the difference.

Regarding (5), if anything I think Latin abbreviations should be avoided
for the sake of readers of the English version, for maximum accessibility.
It appears from the wiki history that this provision was already in the
style guide.

Finally, regarding (3), genitive possessives are such a basic component of
English grammar that I worry that circumlocutions would harm readability to
an unacceptable degree, even if this improves ease of translation. No
examples are given, so I don't know what is intended. There are examples of
cases to avoid possessive pronouns already in the style guide, but these
are not contexts in which a full noun (phrase) would be used.

I think I understand the background that Peter is coming from, but I think
this issue requires more discussion.

--Kenneth