Hi,

Andrew Morgan wrote:
> ps. My work laptop shuts down/reboots in about 3-4 seconds! I was
> amased. But then it isn't much more than a default install + mpd.

Regarding rebooting, in recent times reboot(8) has short-circuited the
process.  It seems to run the new kernel directly whereas in the past it
would caused a reset of the hardware so you'd then go through the normal
BIOS, grub, kernel, chain.  This is a good thing if you want a quick
reboot but not if you want to test out your grub changes for real
instead of in a week's time when you've forgotten what you've been
doing.

Anyone know how to instruct such a system to do a real, old-fashioned,
long-winded, reboot?  I'd rather not halt, have everything spin down and
power off, and then press a button.

Cheers,

Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-11-03 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/