Hi Terry,

> So what I think happens is that during an upgrade the grub tool looks
> for a menu.lst, and if it finds it, it uses it to create the boot
> order.  If it doesn't, as it won't for a clean install, it creates
> /etc/default/grub from the identities of the bootable partitions and
> uses that.
>
> This machine was upgraded, the Mesh was a clean install.

Yes, AIUI the upgrade leaves you at grub 1, and doesn't update the
non-Linux code, whereas a clean install uses grub 2.  Version 1 has
menu.lst, 2 has default/grub, so you need to investigate the problem on
the right machine.  :-)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-June/000573.html

Cheers,

Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-11-03 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/