Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrew Morgan wrote:
>
>> ps. My work laptop shuts down/reboots in about 3-4 seconds! I was
>> amased. But then it isn't much more than a default install + mpd.
>>

> Regarding rebooting, in recent times reboot(8) has short-circuited the
> process.  It seems to run the new kernel directly whereas in the past it
> would caused a reset of the hardware so you'd then go through the normal
> BIOS, grub, kernel, chain.
Just realised that what I wrote might sound confusing, I mean when doing
a reboot it takes 3-4 seconds for the shutdown process to happen,
counting up to the point which it signals a reset (however that happens)
and the bootloader (BIOS) starts executing again. It then loads GRUB,
etc. as normal.

--

Andrew.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-11-03 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/