Hi,

Robert Bronsdon wrote:
> 62 (average over a quarter mile from standing) in a 40 - pegged by a
> big  BMW estate sitting right on my tail. Turned out he had blue
> lights behind  his front grill. Egg on face time. He was shocked I
> slowed when I entered  the 30 and slowed down. More shocked that I
> justified myself. The 40 was  in place because of a near-bye school,
> which I don't consider a hazard at  00:30. Pavements all had fences to
> them and a grass verge before the road.  Pedestrian bridge minimised
> the chances of anyone crossing anyway. Well  lit road etc. good
> visibility.

I think that's taking the mick a bit regardless of how good the
conditions were.  Drunks can't be bothered to walk to the bridge and
will hop over the barrier, make the wrong decision when spotting you
coming, then counter the car's evasion with further wrong decisions,
etc.

I've been on one of those half-day courses Sean mentioned.  Very
interesting.  Run by two advanced driving instructors, not the police.
IIRC all attendees had done 34mph in a 30.  (My excuse was the woman in
front slipped to the "turning right" lane as we were all doing 30 then
changed her mind as I was passing her and started to pull back in;  I
sped up to get out of the way.  She spotted the flash from the camera
and mouthed "Sorry" but that didn't help much.  :-)  Anyway, back to the
course.  I don't think any were under 25 years old either.  Perhaps
they've determined whom the course is likely to be effective for and
have the computer pick them out.

Since then, I try and stick to all the speed limits other than 70.  One
useful thing I picked up to deal with that annoying tailgater who
overtakes recklessly causing you and the oncoming traffic to slow...
just imagine them a couple of bends ahead, wrapped round a stout tree,
with no other cars involved, and with them not having passed on their
DNA.  The tree makes a full recovery.  :-)

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth? TBD, Wednesday 2010-10-06 20:00