I have worked as a highways designer in many local authorities in the
London area and sadly, it seems that improvements are made for only 2
reasons:
- a serious (or fatal) accident occurred at location, or
- a local councilor (or residents' group) is very vocal about the
issue, preferably with a petition

The reason why improvements are only carried out for the 2 reasons
above is quite simple - lack of funds. As there are more and more cuts
in local government budgets, I do not see the situation improving.
Over the years, I have often been in a situation where myself or a
colleague knew of a less-than-ideal road layout at a specific location
but where we had no funds to improve it. The worse thing is we quite
often know how we could improve the layout, the only issue is lack of
funds to actually build it.

Traffic officers gather their own data and do not rely on data
provided by residents. I have never been in a situation where survey
data was passed on by a group of residents, normally they limit
themselves to telling us things such as the times the traffic is
worse, the kind of wrong driving they see on the road (too fast, HGVs
driving on the pavement, traffic not observing correct priorities
etc). Their observations help us understand the situation but we
always check everything ourselves.

I don't think factual data would help a residents' group to get their
case ahead with the council but it would probably help you to convince
your local councilor, adjoining wards' councilors, residents' group
and neighbours to take up the cause and send a petition to the council
(from what I have seen in London boroughs, this is a good way to
attract funding for a project).

>From my experience, another reason for a genuine traffic problem not
to be given funding is political battles. I have seen many valid
traffic improvements not going ahead when a new party got in and
basically decided not to give funding to any of the previous projects.
So my advice would be to work on this from a multi-party perspective
if several parties are represented, or have been represented recently,
in your area, or you risk finding yourself a pawn in a political
battle. Sad but true, this happens very often (and is very frustrating
for everybody involved, including the council officers who genuinely
want the improvements to go ahead but are actually powerless when it
comes to allocating funding to a project).

As for schools, the issue is quite often created/made worse by the
parents who park on double yellow lines or other areas where the
presence of their vehicles affect the visibility for drivers. So a big
thing is education re: why it's important not to park on double yellow
lines - they are there for visibility reasons, not for the pleasure of
making rules. Another thing is to encourage parents to walk children
to/from school, and to share picking up duties with other parents, to
reduce the amount of parked vehicles in vicinity of school, therefore
improving visibility (speed and visibility being the two main causes
of accidents).

Having moved to Bournemouth only 3 months ago, I have to say I am
quite appalled by the local traffic in my area (Winton). I know London
is supposed to be bad for traffic but here, drivers seem to not even
see pedestrians, let alone let them cross. Quite often, I find myself
having to rush back to the pavement because drivers only pay attention
to other road traffic and do not see there is somebody actually
crossing the road. London was a lot more pedestrian friendly, I think
a lot of educating of drivers regarding pedestrians could be done
here. Of course, money is needed for that and with all the current
cuts, this is probably not going to happen...

Google Android, programming and web design at http://www.cogitas.net/blog/

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth? TBD, Wednesday 2010-10-06 20:00