Hi Clive,
        I have a Nexus 7 and have absolutely filled it with (mostly free)
downloads
and except for accidentally "unrooting" it after initially rooting it - I have
(as expected) NOT been hit by any "Viruses".
You should have asked the assistant if that meant that all the Android based
mobile phones were "returned/damaged by virus attacks" too!
I am very pleased with my Nexus 7 and blame myself entirely for accidentally
"unrooting" it.
Unfortunately, if I root it again I suspect I would have to reload all the
apps I have downloaded. But to be honest rooting it didn't really give me any
real benefits anyway.
Its a well-made machine with which I make a fool of the rest of my family with
their expensive ipads.
SInce Android is basically linux/Java and you are conferring on a linux lug,
you surely don't run "antivirus software" on your linux box do you?
Regards
Andy