Guys,

I'm still having problems with our installation at the WMT.  I got NTP to work
on the
remote Pi by using Ralph's ntp-wait work-round; this makes us wait for up to 10
minutes
before the system syncs, but when it does the two clocks are exactly the same.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that I have got very unreliable
timekeeping from
the realtime clock on the master Pi.  Sometimes it appears to be keeping time,
sometimes
it gains or loses several minutes in an hour.  One problem is that everything I
try
necessitates a delay of at least an hour or so before anything useful can be
seen (and of
course if it is keeping time then I have to wait even longer) ;-(

The setup I have is that the master Pi has a RASClock purchased from ModMyPi,
but
sourced from Afterthought Software.  The setup instructions are here:
https://afterthoughtsoftware.com/products/rasclock.

I originally posted on the ModMyPi Forum about this, but the response was
fairly poor.
One issue I had was that we have updated the installation on the two Pis to
Raspbian
Stretch; the last time I used one of these it was for the Bells software on
Jessie.

Now to the question.  I was comparing the hwclock-set file on my Bells SD Card
with the
same file on the Sump Pi SD Card and I noticed a difference.  The Bells config
is missing
two changes from the Afterthought website:

     *  Comment out or remove the two lines which contain --systz
buts that 's version that works!

I've been reading the man page for hwclock to see what --hctosys and --systz do
and have
been struggling to see how relevant this might be and I note the reference to
NTP.
Bearing in mind that the NTP server is running on the master Pi (the same one
that has
the clock), I'm not sure if it's an issue or not.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I'll quite happily fiddle with the
settings, to try to
fix this, but I'd like to know what I'm doing and the inherent delay means that
it could be
days before I know if I've fixed it.