On Monday, 11 September 2017 15:14:43 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> You might find an rdate(1) from the slave is simpler at boot time.  I
> don't know if Raspbian provides a server for the `time' port, but it's a
> trivial thing.

Well.  I took your advice and started from a clean installation of Raspbian
Stretch and
gradually added the various packages and config settings to see what broke it.

Everything worked fine until I configured the remote Pi (buttspi) to read time
from the
NTP Server on the master (sumppi).  I had been running with NTP installed on
both Pis,
and sumppi configured to broadcast on the network's broadcast address.  The RTC
kept
perfect time.  I then enabled 'broadcastclient' on buttspi and on the next
reboot the time
on sumppi was reset to the same (or nearly the same) as buttspi.

Unless anyone can spot the obvious howler, then I'm ready to try rdate, as you
suggested.

With that in mind, I installed rdate on buttspi, isolated the Pi from the local
network,
plugged in a WiFi adaptor and typed:

  sudo rdate -ncv 0.debian.pool.ntp.org

and it worked!

I then set up the system as it will be in situ (without the WiFi adaptor) and
typed:

  sudo rdate -v 192.168.0.2

and got connection refused.  I've googled for the 'trivial' instructions for
setting up the
time port, but can't really see what I need to do.  Apparently, (according to
the rdate man
page), the time source 'is usually implemented as a built-in service of
inetd[1](8)' and is on
port 37 by default.  Do I need to enable that port or is it slightly more
complicated than
that?

--------
[1] http://www.huge-man-linux.net/man8/inetd.html