On Saturday, 16 September 2017 16:53:24 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Some ports provide such trivial functionality that inet and xinetd do
> the work themselves, and TCP and UDP port 37 is one of those.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinetd gives some more detail, and its
> worked example is an RFC 868 time server;  just what you want.

Ralph,

That appears to work beautifully ;-)

I have a couple more questions before I can finish the job:

1.    I put the command into rc.local to ensure it executed at boot up, with a
30 second delay just before it to ensure that sumppi had started before it was
interrogated.  So that future maintainers might have a clue what is going on I
put a message about the reason for the delay just before the if structure
containing the command.  The trouble is that this message is not echoed to the
console during boot-up but it is if I run rc.local explicitly from the command
line.  How do I get the message to show up in the boot messages.

2.  I tried to put the command into an if structure to test to ensure that it
worked, eg

if [ "rdate -v 192.168.0.2" ]; then
  exit 0
else
  exit 1
fi

However, the command doesn't seem to execute.  It does if I just put it in
without testing for the result.  Is it possible to do this with this command?

BTW.  Thanks for your help (again).