Ralph,

Thanks for all the information.  I'll probably not get round to looking at it
for a few days because I shortly have to set off for the Midlands to collect
my mother, who is staying with us for the week.  I'll give it a whirl to see
what's, what.   Just at the moment though, I only have time to dash this off
and no time to fire up the Pis.

On Saturday, 16 September 2017 20:21:17 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> If you're using `echo foo' then that goes to standard out, stdout.  But
> that might be being discarded.  You could try standard error, stderr,
> instead with `echo foo >&2'.  But that might be being discarded too.
> Use

One thing that struck me though.  I understand what you are saying here but
the messages are being echoed when I simply type 'sudo /etc/rc.local' in a
shell but not when it is executed at boot up.  Also, I know the command is
being executed correctly at boot up, because, although I don't get the
message, I do get the O/P of rdate, which is something along the lines of
'clock adjusted by xyz seconds'.  Also the clock is right :-)

Is there some mechanism that directs the O/P of echo to stdout once the system
has booted but to somewhere else while it is being booted?

Finally, I also realised last night that all the examples of echo that I had
seen were written as echo foo, whereas I have written echo "foo".  Could this
have any bearing?