I just realised that my reply yesterday only went to Ian and not the list;
those pesky CCs again.

On Sunday, 25 February 2018 12:55:45 GMT you wrote:

Ian,

> You could create your own CA ... but anyone using the site will still
> get the error unless they (manually) install your CA root cert.

Yes. Tried that and it was as you said.

> Probably the cheapest way is to get a free certificate :
> https://letsencrypt.org/ However then the server at least would need to
> be connected to the Internet to renew the issued certificate.

I spoke to the Management team at WMT this morning and we've decided to try
this.  AFAICT, Foxdog Studios use the Domain Validated Certificate for their
main site and install it on their private server.  Presumably this means that
they have to name their Private webserver the same as their public one.

Our idea is to register a new domain for the WMT, such as WMTGuide.com.  We
could then create a Domain Validated Certificate for that site and use that
domain on our private network.

Do you (or anyone else) know if we would have to have a live website on the
Internet for the Doamin validation to work?  I'm assuming that we probably do,
but it would be nice if we didn't so that we can get away with paying for
hosting.