On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 21:33:10 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> I still think this idea of trying to fool your paying public that
> they're on the Internet, since they won't get the `you're captured' UI
> that's familiar to them, just leaves them confused when they can't post
> their photos to Facebook, etc.  :-)

I tried to convince 'Management' of this on Tuesday morning, but to no avail.
The problem is that the people who man the pay-booth have no idea about any of
this and struggle to explain the procedure to people who've tried to get onto
our WiFi network, so the thinking is that it'll be less hassle anyway.

BTW.  iPhones 'just connect', so Apple users have idea about the loss of their
Facebook access until they try to upload their photos.

> There's already wimborne-modeltown.com.  I'd expect a subdomain of that
> to work, e.g. guide.wimborne-modeltown.com.  No fee for domain
> registration if your existing set-up allows whatever subdomains you
> want.

The problem is that I have no control over the wimborne-modeltown.com server,
which is managed by a contractor.  That means that the WMT would have to pay
the contractor to make the change.

> I think that should work.  If you're not allowed subdomains with your
> hosting then LetsEncrypt wimborne-modeltown.com and use
> wimborne-modeltown.com/guide on the Unternet?

That's pretty much what I would have wanted to do, although the length of the
URL will be a problem.

I don't suppose it would work if we got a Certificate for wimborne-
modeltown.com and added that to the DNS on the internal server, then simply
told them to go to WMT.com which would also be available on that server?
(Maybe by redirection.)

> With LetsEncrypt, which is a good choice, yes.  And fairly regularly as
> they need `renewing' every three months IIRC.  For the initial proof,
> and later renewals, they contact the server for
> guide.wimborne-modeltown.com, say, in a certain manner so you can prove
> you own it.  It's quite simple, but they need to be able to resolve DNS
> for that hostname to an IP address that's happy to play along.  It could
> all be torn down in between renewals.  Or the guide could be available
> to the Internet?

So.  If we got a certificate for wimborne-modeltown.com, would the server need
to have that Certificate installed (more contractor work).

> How about if the normal site prominently hosted the guide, had a
> LetsEncrypt certificate, and had a duplicate off-Internet on the site?

Contractor....

> BTW, AndrewM on IRC pointed out https://qifi.org/ for producing a QR
> code that tells the smartphone the SSID, etc., for wifi.

Yes.  I recall this and we discussed it at the time.  The problem is that
Aunty Mabel and Grandpa Fred are highly unlikely to have a QR Code Reader App
installed, so half the users would still need to type in the foot-long URL.

(We also discussed the fact that users could install the QR Code Reader App at
the door, but decided that Aunty Mabel, Grandpa Fred or the door staff are
unlikely to know how to do that.