I've been using subprocess.open in the Player programs, but I don't believ the I need it for this. The Flask App is written in Python, so I should be able to use the sockets code that we already have (written by Hamish for the River System) to pass messages between the two running programs, eg the Webserver
and the Player.

You might be able to do that but you’d need to re-open the socket on each web server request, and close it at the end of the requests, or you’ll run into problems. I don’t think you’ll be able to keep the socket available to all requests, but I might be wrong!