Copy to list because my email client sent it direct to John....

On 21/09/2022 10:28, Terry Coles wrote:
On 20/09/2022 18:42, John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for" to some extent but
the machines that are sold as supporting Linux like Dells and
Thinkpads do tend to be aimed at software devs and therefore in a
price bracket alongside Macs. It would be nice if more of the
mid-range machines were also sold as Linux compatible (since many of
them are to a large extent).

The XPS was £1100 but it's a top spec little machine. Definitely the
most I ever spent on a laptop (or any other computer come to that) but
I can't fault it

I went round this loop around 6 1/2 years ago and eventually plumped for the Dell XPS 13 DE (9350).  It set me back £1228 and was initially a bit of a pain because it came with Ubuntu 14.04 (which was already 2 years out of date).  I put Kubuntu 16.04 on it and the performance dropped through the floor owing to the 'specially crafted kernel' for the Intel i7 processor.  Dell's support at that time was non-existent as they 'didn't support Linux', even though they sold it with Linux.  Eventually I obtained an installation image from a sympathetic Dell Support Rep (only Windows images were available) and lived with it until the official Ubuntu kernel caught up.

Having said all that, the machine has performed flawlessly ever since.  The i7 processor isn't going to run out of steam for some years and the memory is an entirely adequate 16 GB.

So it may be worth investing in a more expensive model to get the longevity.