On 20/09/2022 17:26, Peter Merchant wrote:
A friend of mine is wanting a new laptop and asked if I would post his request
here - Yes he uses Linux.

Does anybody know of a good source for him?

I've looked at Linux built laptops including Dell and all seem to be overpriced
compared to popular Windows orientated companies.
I had a beautiful Huawei Al chassis, fingerprint and a good spec at a marvelous
price from Amazon under £500. I dual booted Ubuntu 22.04 but could not get
Sound, microphone or fingerprint to work! All I got from Ubuntu was criticism
of my post and no solutions offered. I tried at least a dozen links from Google
and made no progress, I returned the laptop on the last day of returns and got
refunded 2 months later.
I've looked at reconditioned from Amazon sellers but reductant to trust their
service/guarantee.

I wonder if you could ask the group for any suggestions around ,£500. 256 /512 SSD
8GB memory i3/5 or AMDr3/5, Al chassis, 14"+/- , fingerprint and backlight UK
keyboard.

Over to you guys.
Peter

Thanks everybody for your help and advice. Here is a  response to me from
Walter, which he says he has posted here, but I didn't see it.

---- ---- ----

Thanks for keeping me on the mailing list which I gladly receive. I have not
posted for a long while so i thought I should get back on stream and clear
things with yourself first.

Peter kindly put my request up recently Under "New Laptop" attached below, and
I would like to reply to that stream. Would you kindly assist and post this for me and
I'll follow the procedure thereafter,

Thank you kindly, Walter Reed

"New Laptop"

Thanks all the contributors to this thread which Peter kindly posted.

I looked at the various options and after my first and only disappointment at
not getting the Huawei Matebook D15 to fully install so I had to return back to
seller..

I had looked at a couple of suitable offers and decided I better choose an
option that I could readily return locally if I was out of luck again.

I decided an on-line order at Argos and have since managed the get this Asus
Vivobook fully installed and running merrily. I had read up various articles an
believed they claimed were mostly compatible and I was warned about a possible
wifi problem. Well, I took the risk and this was my progress:-

Wifi driver for Asus VivobookA516JA

My trouble installing Ubuntu on new Asus Vivobook-15 A516JA" was with a missing
 wifi driver. 'lspci' showed the Network controller was Realtek but no correct
driver was installed.  This is a serious lack of external communication needed
during installation.  I overcome the lack of ethernet or wifi connection using a USB
cable hotspot tethered to my mobile phone. This idea which was new to me and it took
sometime to resolve but immediately connected to the internet and allowed me to
fully tweek  a new installation (also thanks to Youtube) however still no wifi!

I installed and updated Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and knowing the driver was missing
went to Software Updater/Settings/Additional Drivers and and there it was
waiting for me to accept a restricted driver for Realtk rtl8821ce-dkms. Reboot
and all sorted.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Cheers Walter.