On 8/11/2008, Mathieu Kretchner ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
So here is my next environment :

how many mailbox ?
5000

with adequate hardware/RAM, no problem

how many users ?
6000

again - with adequate hardware/RAM, no problem

Concurrent access/usage will dictate if you need more than one server.

what kind of access ?
IMAP(s), POP3(s), webmail

no problem - webmail is separate of course, use whichever webmail app you like

how many server ?
2 (how to configure this with dovecot ? hearthbeat ? is it better with 1 big
hardware ? )

Timo is working on integrated replication right now, but it does currently have proxy capability that I understand works well and makes this fairly painless, although I haven't used it...

But I'm not sure if you are talking about 2 REDUNDANT servers (for fail-over in the event the primary fails), or 2 active/load-balanced servers... proxy would work for load-balancing, and you can configure anything to use heartbeat, no?

Database user ?
LDAP

no problem

Mail DB ?
Cyrus maildir

You'll have to convert to standard maildir:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus

Capability ?
Sieve / Quota

On latest version (1.1.2 currently), no problem, but a newer/full rewrite to provide native sieve capability is in progress, which will provide much better control

High Performance without hacking conf files !

this is one of dovecots strongest points imo...

--

Best regards,

Charles