Indeed, the SP2 Local Machine Zone Lockdown is blocking DQSD from
running every reboot. To fix it change (in Start>Run>"regedit"):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft \Internet Explorer\main
\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LocalMachine_Lockdown\Explorer.exe to 0

and If It Exists:

   HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Microsoft \Internet Explorer\main
\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LocalMachine_Lockdown\Explorer.exe to 0

per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/productinfo/XPSP2/securebrowsing/locallockdown.aspx

I don't see any concession to whitelist DQSD running in explorer as it
is, we should probably add a prompt to the installer and have it execute
this key change, maybe only if SP2 is installed.

I tried to send a registry or a zipped registry file but sourceforge has
stringent listserv attachment policies apparently.

Thad Kerosky