From: Garey Barrell <k4...@mindspring.com>
To: drakelist <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Sun, Apr 17, 2011 11:12 am
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Fwd: My R-4B audio? FIXED!

Lee -

The mystery deepens.....  :-)   You were measuring just the static DC
voltages, which is about the least demanding situation.

Dennis...  What Beta did you measure?  This is the simplest Class A
audio amp with a 2.2M 'pull-up' resistor C-B, an 82 ohm E resistor and a
47k C (load) resistor.  As I recall the Base voltage was marginal, but
such low currents not all that unusual. There was E voltage, but barely
measurable.  Any ideas???

Yes, I still say the 'B' was the epitome of the 4 Line receivers. Drake
built about 12,000 of about the same design, and I think they had it
pretty well figured out by the 'B'!  :-)  Yeah, the 'C' had fancy
crystal filters, but those have their problems too. They certainly come
in handy when things are really tight, but that doesn't happen much any
more except on contest weekends.  The 'B' is a much more pleasant
sounding radio for day-to-day hamming.  Just my opinion........

kc9...@aol.com wrote:
Garey, & all.....
The voltages were measured right on the leads (very carefully I might
add, it's tight in there) And after I soldered in the new transistor
it still failed...but, the next morning when I was more awake...I
discovered I had picked up the SAME old transistor when I replaced it
the night before. I know this to be true as it was in fact a 2N3394
(original). My replacement was to be a 2N3393 I had in stock. After I
replaced the old with the new 2n3393....it worked great.
So, that transistor is bad....maybe it is intermittent, but that
would
be rare for sure. Maybe it fails under current draw or certain
voltage???  I could put it back in to see...but, that baby is working
FB and I'm going to leave it alone.

Anyways...my friend now loves his R-4B and we did EXTENSIVE RX tests
with both his TT Orion I and my TT Orion II.
In MOST cases the R-4B copyed weak DX BETTER than the new modern
radios....:-) That baby is HOT...and the audio is superb even at
pretty high volumes.

He commented that before my full alignment that was not the
case...so,
moral is....if your R-4B is not hearing well spend some time on it as
it SHOULD really kick BUTT>
73,
Lee