Paul brings up a good point.  Does the frequency jump when tuning, or even when
stopped?

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Paul Christensen wrote:
Steve,
No doubt others with more experience will jump in. I've recently pulled more than a half-dozen PTOs in the last week. The first one takes a bit of time to think through but the info on WB4HFN's website is excellent. After the first trial, subsequent removal of the whole assembly with dials can be performed in about 5 minutes. I found that with the PTO sitting on a bench, and interconnected with RG-174, I could much more accurately analyze problems and performs maintenance on the units. Removal of the entire PTO is a "must" if you want to inspect the bottom of the PTO's circuit board. I have an angled dental mirror but it's no substitute for PTO removal. Anyway, once the PTO is out, you should be able to confidently and easily determine whether the problem is electrical or mechanical. The Zener helps to stabilize line voltage variations. If the PTO is "jumping," I would think it may be a mechanical problem -- or perhaps the issue where the PTO "braid fix" will help. Either way, I would try to pull the PTO and at the same time, perform maintenance on the bearings, clean the dials, etc as long as it's open and accessible.
Paul, W9AC