----- Original Message ----- From: "Donley" <donley...@comcast.net> To: "Richard Knoppow" <1oldle...@ix.netcom.com>; <k4...@mindspring.com>; "drakelist" <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] TR-4C Bias Adjustment

Completed tasks.

Adjusted bias control until 0.5 VDC across cathode resistor, equals 33 mA, three resistors in parallel equals 100 mA total bias current. Bias voltage is -55 VDC at this point. No bias current measurement on plate current meter (actually has been just a slight wiggle all along, but nothing more than a half pointer width wiggle).

C-73 is not a feedthrough, what point should be measured?

My blunder (red face department) I just assumed the C version was pretty much the same as the plain TR-4 and looked at my enlarged schematics. Different amimal. Now to clarify what you see. When setting bias up with the controls as in the book you see nothing on the meter, maybe just a slight wiggle. When actually transmitting, either a CW or SSB signal you see the meter go up-scale and it peaks with the plat tuning adjustment. I presume it must also peak with the load adjustment although it may be all the way at one end. If this is the case I am sure you are seeing the RF output. The meter has a simple rectifier that samples some of the RF output and feeds the DC to the meter. Even though the spring may be intact and the switch seem good I would check the wiring at the meter switch (assuming its as accessible as on the TR-4). Use an external meter to see what is there. Its possible there is something shorting the switch or other wiring error there. Don't assume its OK because it look alright. The meter isn't working right something is wrong. To be blunt, if all the tube voltages are present and are about the right values, the problem just can not happen at the tube. IMO it isn't real, its an artifact of the meter switch or wiring being wrong. BTW, I think Garrey Barrell has a DVD for the model, if he does I URGE you to get it. When you do have the manuals printed out and bound at Kinko's or someplace. Also have the schematic printed out _large_ 18X24 or whatever the nearest standard size is. Get about three copies, they are not expensive. That way you can mark one of them up. Use colored pencils or highlighers to trace out the circuits. Drake schematics are dense although I've seen lots worse so some visual aid is necessary to be sure your eye doesn't skip onto the wrong line. Sometimes seemingly complicated circuits get a lot simpler when you trace them out, for one thing they are visually isolated. It may be helpful to re-draw some of the switches to have a better idea of what they do.
    GET THE DISC!!!

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles