Back from Shelby Hamfest in NC.

The amount of Drake equipment was disappointing: I saw one guy with a TR-3 and 
a TR-4, and one guy with a set of twins: an R-4B and T-4X with MS-4 and AC-4.  
I wound up buying the latter set.  One of the guys traveling with me had a 
TR-7A that he didn't sell.

I had to come down quite a bit on some of my stuff I was selling, and so did 
the guy who sold me the Twins.  Turnout was lighter than last year, so I'll 
blame the economy, as temps were about average for this time of year here (88).

The R-4B definitely needs an alignment but works pretty well.  I'll be running 
the tubes through the tester, washing and cleaning this rig - I'll be keeping 
this one!  Perfect example of what you want to find if you don't want to pay an 
arm and a leg: dusty and a little dirty, all knobs and parts are there, no mods 
and it's working okay.

The T-4X is grubby but works better than the one I've cleaned but have not done 
a complete re-alignment on yet.  Getting about 120W out on 20m.  Had a Q with a 
German station earlier today on 20 CW.

Haven't tried the AC-4 yet - I'm thinking of replacing the bias supply caps 
before even firing it up.

I also bought a nice 12 VDC fan which I've connected to a wall wart supply so 
that I can use it on whatever transmitter I'm playing with at the time.

BTW, the transformer on this R-4B isn't getting nearly as hot as the one on my 
R-4A.

FWIW,

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
- Joe Walsh

If the above message appears, it came from Steve's Son of Laptop!
_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to