On 30 Oct 2001, Liam Wilks wrote:

> I created X11R6-DRI, by copying my old X installation. I have not ran
> make install, as it appears that I do not have to do so in the
> compilation guide. If that is what I have to do, is it likley that it
> won't affect my current X installation (Currently /usr/X11R6)?

Yep, make install should do it.  That will install everything that's
necessary in /usr/X11R6-DRI (as long as that's how ProjectRoot is defined
in host.def), leaving some libs that you copied over that don't need
rebuilding.  It shouldn't touch /usr/X11R6, but may try to install a few
things in /etc/X11 I think, so you might want to back that up if you're
worried.  I had a few symlink problems in /etc/X11 because RedHat has some
differences with the stock X there.  I created my /usr/X11R6-DRI with
lndir (like with the build tree), so that I don't have two copies of the
original X libs that don't get rebuilt.  The symlinks are just replaced by
the new stuff by make install, so it's easy to see what belongs to the DRI
build.

When I update my CVS tree I just run make install again to rebuild/install
the stuff that's changed.  Make World shouldn't be necessary every time
unless there has been a merge from the trunk that includes core X changes.

--
Leif Delgass