On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 09:25, José Fonseca wrote:

> I've updated my workstation to the RedHat Linux 7.3.94 beta, which has
> gcc 3.2. So now forward the snapshots will be built with this version.
> AFAIK this shouldn't pose any problem to the users since the key issue
> is that the kernel modules are compiled with the same version of gcc
> that compiled the kernel, and that still holds true.

If the kernel modules were the only issue, you'd be right. Unfortunately
the other important component of the snapshots is the DRI shared
library. Since (for those who haven't heard) GCC 3.2 breaks binary
compatibility with earlier versions, the shared libraries don't work. My
X server dies on signal 11 almost immediately (during drm
initialization). So these snapshots will only work if your X server is
compiled with GCC 3.2. Also I've noticed that the shared library is now
twice the size (or more) than it used to be (went from about 5 MB to 12
MB).

Since very few people seem to have GCC 3.2 at the moment (I do have a
Gentoo 1.4-pre1 box that does, but haven't tried DRI snaps on it yet),
can we please have some built with the old gcc? Most likely Red Hat
provides this in a gcc-compat package. I'm trying now to build some
myself from CVS, but didn't have much luck last night (result didn't
run).

--
Andy Dustman         PGP: 0x930B8AB6
    @       .net     http://dustman.net/andy