On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:32:32PM -0400, Andy Dustman wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 09:25, José Fonseca wrote:
>
>> I've updated my workstation to the RedHat Linux 7.3.94 beta, which has
>> gcc 3.2. So now forward the snapshots will be built with this version.
>> AFAIK this shouldn't pose any problem to the users since the key issue
>> is that the kernel modules are compiled with the same version of gcc
>> that compiled the kernel, and that still holds true.
>
>If the kernel modules were the only issue, you'd be right. Unfortunately
>the other important component of the snapshots is the DRI shared
>library. Since (for those who haven't heard) GCC 3.2 breaks binary
>compatibility with earlier versions, the shared libraries don't work. My
>X server dies on signal 11 almost immediately (during drm
>initialization). So these snapshots will only work if your X server is
>compiled with GCC 3.2. Also I've noticed that the shared library is now
>twice the size (or more) than it used to be (went from about 5 MB to 12
>MB).

AFAIK the announced breakeage concerned C++ only.

>Since very few people seem to have GCC 3.2 at the moment (I do have a
>Gentoo 1.4-pre1 box that does, but haven't tried DRI snaps on it yet),
>can we please have some built with the old gcc? Most likely Red Hat
>provides this in a gcc-compat package. I'm trying now to build some
>myself from CVS, but didn't have much luck last night (result didn't
>run).

The ability of gcc-3.2 to generate more efficient code to Pentium III
and IV, being able to generate SSE and SSE2 instructions automatically
was one of the main reasons why I installed Redhat beta, since I do lot
of numerical stuff. This together with the new gnome2 desktop.

Unfortunately I don't have other machine were I can build those
snapshots, and SourceForge compiler farm fails to build the snapshots
except for some cards (ATI cards IIRC) due to an outdate Xfree installed
on the system.

RedHat does indeed provides a compat-gcc package. I'll see what I can do
to use it within my scripts.

Nevertheless it would be good to be sure about these binary
compatabilities, since the widespread of gcc-3.2 will happen very soon.

José Fonseca