NVidia wanted to keep the source code base of the Windows drivers and the
Linux drivers as close as possible, including what would be considered
kernel mode stuff.  They started with windows drivers and adapted that to
linux.  Part of their porting effort was bulding a kernel level wrapper,
which "emulated" the minimum win32 kernel service API's the rest of the
kernel module needed.