On Fre, 2003-02-28 at 19:03, Jon Smirl wrote:
> It is a fact that Microsoft Longhorn and the Mac GUI
> are moving towards 3D hardware for their base GUI. It
> is also a fact that it will take a lot of effort and
> probably several years to move X in the same
> direction. Personally I don't want to see Linux in the
> position of having the new 3D effects in Windows and
> the Mac and not being able to respond. I'm willing to
> put some time and effort into this and maybe other are
> too.
>
> I don't buy the "support old hardware" argument for
> stopping the forward progress of DRI. With that
> argument we'd still all be running in X86 real mode
> and the Athlon-64 would be pointless. Backwards
> compatibility is important and fallbacks should be
> provided, but it's not a reason for stopping the use
> of new hardware features.
>
> So what is the best design for achieving this? The
> project has to have DRI at it's core since it's the
> only choice for 3D acceleration on Linux. We also have
> to preserve X Windows compatibility for all of the
> existing apps.
>
> My first thought would be to get DRI running
> standalone (like the fbdri project but sync'd to CVS)
> then modify X to load on top of the standalone DRI.
> After that works rework the 2D X driver to use the DRI
> API instead of using the hardware directly.
>
> The reasoning behind a standalone DRI is to make it
> easier to build a 3D windowing system.  To create a 3D
> windowing system a mechanism is needed to get existing
> X windows into textures so that they can be
> transformed.  If it proves too hard to alter X,
> standalone DRI would allow X to be replaced with
> something like NanoX.

Have you looked at DirectFB (http://directfb.org/)? Integrating the DRI
with that might be interesting, they already have an X server which maps
X windows to DirectFB surfaces (mostly the same way as is done on Mac OS
X). When I tried XDirectFB a while ago, it was amazingly snappy even
without any hardware acceleration.