On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Interesting you mention it.  This is what Brian & I've done in the Mesa
> embedded branch -- layered the radeon dri driver on top of fbdev.  I can also
> build regular DRI drivers from a minimal tree & sane set of makefiles.

Personally, I'd rather see DRI _underneath_ fbdev rather than on top of.
Since fbdev would require at least to know of (and obey) the DRI locking
code - and would likely want to use all the same DRI command execution for
things like blits etc (this is on the assumption that 2d and 3d will
eventually use the same engine, which is probably a safe assumption).

I _assume_ that what you really mean is that you use fbdev really only to
set up the screen modes and do things like initialize the graphics
buffers.

                Linus