On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:53 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:14:25 -0500 (EST), Vladimir Dergachev
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This would mean that on r300 this fix is not needed, but rv350 locks up without it.

In that case perhaps it makes sense to only wait for idle on rv3xx. I don't know if it makes sense to break one setup to fix another.

Certainly not, but I don't think the wait for idle makes sense in the first place. There is no rule that you have to wait for idle before reading a register, and the fglrx driver doesn't do anything like that.

Wait a minute..

My understanding was that for MMIO-only access:

    * Check that FIFO is not full before writing
    * Check that GUI engine is idle before accessing framebuffer
    * Check that FIFO is empty before reading a register

Forgot the forth one: some registers bypass the FIFO, so WaitForIdle for them is not necessary.

Are you saying that that last one is not necessary ?

                     thank you

                           Vladimir Dergachev