On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 05:09 -0700, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> think the latter is the significant result -- none of these experiments
> in memory management significantly change the command stream the
> hardware has to operate on, so what we're varying essentially is the
> CPU behaviour to acheive that command stream.  And it is in CPU usage
> where GEM (and Keith/Eric's now-abandoned TTM driver) do significantly
> dissapoint.

Your GEM results do not match mine; perhaps we're running different
kernels? Anything older than 2.6.24 won't be using clflush and will
instead use wbinvd, a significant performance impact.  Profiling would
show whether this is the case.

I did some fairly simple measurements using openarena and enemy
territory. Kernel version 2.6.25, CPU 1.3GHz Pentium M, 915GMS with the
slowest possible memory. I'm afraid I don't have a working TTM
environment at present; I will try to get that working so I can do more
complete comparisons.

                                fps     real    user    kernel
glxgears classic:               665
glxgears GEM:                   889
openareana classic:             17.1     59.19   37.13   1.80
openarena GEM:                  24.6     44.06   25.52   5.29
enemy territory classic:         9.0    382.13  226.38  11.51
enemy territory GEM:            15.7    212.80  121.72  40.50

> Or to put it another way, GEM & master/TTM seem to burn huge
> amounts
> of CPU just running the memory manager.

I'm not seeing that in these demos; actual allocation is costing about
3% of the CPU time. Of course, for this hardware, the obvious solution
of re-using batch buffers would eliminate that cost entirely.

It would be nice to see the kernel time reduced further, but it's not
terrible so far.