Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:11 +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
>

>> I'm still confused by your test setup...  Stepping back from cache
>> metaphysics, why doesn't classic pin the hardware, if it's still got
>> 60% cpu to burn?
>>

> glxgears under classic is definitely not pinning the hardware -- the
> 'intel_idle' tool shows that it's only using about 70% of the GPU. GEM
> is pinning the hardware. Usually this means there's some synchronization
> between the CPU and GPU causing each to wait part of the time while the
> other executes. I haven't really looked at the non-gem case though; the
> numbers seem similar enough to what I've seen in the past.
>

>> I think getting reproducible results makes a lot of sense.  What
>> hardware are you actually using -- ie. what is this laptop?
>>

> This is a Panasonic CF-R4.

So we were actually using a slightly stale version of GEM from Eric's
repos,  Michel rerun his tests with the indicated versions without any
significant changes.

I've rebuilt on a HP (Compaq) nx 7300 laptop, 1GB single-channel i945G,
Celeron M [EMAIL PROTECTED] GHz. Kernel 2.6.25rc4. This is the third system we
test.

I've added the "teapot" demo, since it should be completely CPU-bound,
even on this machine.
After the tests, I must say Keith Whitwell's conclusions seem to hold:

    * Intel's TTM and GEM's approaches to buffer management translate to
      a lot extra CPU usage and worse performance
    * With that approach, GEM might improve over TTM, but it's not seen
      here.
    * Classic is apparently doing suboptimal syncs that limits its
      performance in some cases (gears, teapot and perhaps openarena),
      one should not benchmark framerates against classic in those cases.

And furtermore

    * GEM's tex(sub)image (map and copy to device) performance really
      sucks. It would be good to see some benchmarks using pwrite here.

Gears:

Classic        845fps @ 35%
Intel TTM      942fps @ 61%
GEM            902fps @ 61%