My recommendation is just

1.) It'd be best to run tests by default if your going to build the
source release. If you do not need to run the tests because you didn't
alter the source, perhaps you shouldn't be building the source release
and instead be using the binary release.

2.) That its not necessary to define and a custom profile to define
the test property, it can just be in the properties section of the
pom. That the following is rather long winded

      <!-- skip tests by default, but allow override
      on command line by setting property "-Dmaven.test.skip"-->
      <!-- Disabled by default, change activeByDefault to true to enable -->
      <profile>
        <id>skiptests</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
         </activation>
        <properties>
         <maven.test.skip>true</maven.test.skip>
        </properties>
      </profile>
   </profiles>

When the following code in the pom has the same effect

<properties>
     <maven.test.skip>true</maven.test.skip>
</properties>

3.) That in Maven 2.x you can create a custom profiles.xml to place
your local settings in, see example:

http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/trunk/dspace/profiles-example.xml

Or that if your trying to use 3.x, you can do the same in the ~/.m2/settings.xml

MarkD