> So, my question is: "Can File descriptions for multiple bitstreams be
> added via the importer?"

Remember, the Packager plugins are another way to ingest Items -- SWORD,
the LNI, and a command-line client (/dspace/bin/packager) can all invoke
any of the package ingester plugins.

Unfortunately, the most sophisticated packager that comes in the release,
the METS (DSpace SIP profile) packager, does not recognize Bitstream
descriptions.  I *think* this is because there was no good place to
put that metadata in the PREMIS object schema that we use for Bitstream-level
metadata.

There is a package-based solution that would let you ingest every
detail of an Item -- the AIP prototype, see
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/AipPrototype
The whole nature of an AIP is that is a *complete* description of the
DSpace object, down to every detail, so you don't lose anything
when e.g. migrating Items between archives through AIPs.

It's probably prohibitively hard to resuscitate this code, but perhaps
you can just spin off your own customized METS ingester.
Look at the AIP as a model if you want to adapt the existing METS packager code.
You can subclass it pretty easily and just change the Bitstream
crosswalk plugin it calls, perhaps to a modified PREMIS crosswalk, or
use DC or something like that for Bitstream metadata.

    -- Larry