Dorothea Salo wrote:
> How much of what the various ingest interfaces do is and isn't covered
> in SWORD? Would it be worthwhile to write against that rather than
> (re-)rolling our own?

Just to pipe in briefly on SWORD:

I've been messing around with SWORD quite a bit recently.  It's a nice
initial protocol, but it's purposefully and obviously very generic when
it comes to the repository software.  So, SWORD actually doesn't require
a particular metadata schema or anything.  It *recommends* that you send
metadata in EPrints DC XML, but doesn't even enforce that:

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/Eprints_DC_XML

Now, obviously that's the purpose of a protocol like SWORD, to be
generic and not force anything too specific.  But, that means that in
order to implement any *DSpace-specific* ingest features we'd have to
build a more complex SWORD Client which could pass that extra info along
to a SWORD Server which understands it.

Currently, DSpace 1.5 SWORD Server just provides the basic generic SWORD
functionality (and maps the Eprints DC XML to underlying DSpace
"qualified" Dublin Core).  It's definitely possible to make the SWORD
Server process DSpace-specific information, but it would also require
that the SWORD Client (whatever is sending the SWORD request) also
*knows* to send that extra info.

Not sure if all of that makes sense (I'm trying not to get too overly
technical here).  But, essentially, it would be possible to begin
writing ingest interfaces using SWORD.  However, if we ever got
*specific* to DSpace software, we'd likely also need to write a SWORD
Client which sends extra info *specific* to DSpace software.  I'd agree
this is still probably a better route than "re-rolling our own", but
it's still not necessarily an easy/quick task :)

That's just my 2 cents.  I'll also admit I'm still not quite a SWORD
expert, but I'm sure someone will correct me if anything I've said is
inaccurate :)

- Tim

--
Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for