On May 14, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Tim Donohue wrote:

> Dorothea Salo wrote:
>> How much of what the various ingest interfaces do is and isn't
>> covered
>> in SWORD? Would it be worthwhile to write against that rather than
>> (re-)rolling our own?
>
> Just to pipe in briefly on SWORD:
>
> I've been messing around with SWORD quite a bit recently.  It's a nice
> initial protocol, but it's purposefully and obviously very generic
> when
> it comes to the repository software.  So, SWORD actually doesn't
> require
> a particular metadata schema or anything.  It *recommends* that you
> send
> metadata in EPrints DC XML, but doesn't even enforce that:
>
> http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/Eprints_DC_XML
>
> Now, obviously that's the purpose of a protocol like SWORD, to be
> generic and not force anything too specific.  But, that means that in
> order to implement any *DSpace-specific* ingest features we'd have to
> build a more complex SWORD Client which could pass that extra info
> along
> to a SWORD Server which understands it.
>
> Currently, DSpace 1.5 SWORD Server just provides the basic generic
> SWORD
> functionality (and maps the Eprints DC XML to underlying DSpace
> "qualified" Dublin Core).  It's definitely possible to make the SWORD
> Server process DSpace-specific information, but it would also require
> that the SWORD Client (whatever is sending the SWORD request) also
> *knows* to send that extra info.
>
> Not sure if all of that makes sense (I'm trying not to get too overly
> technical here).  But, essentially, it would be possible to begin
> writing ingest interfaces using SWORD.  However, if we ever got
> *specific* to DSpace software, we'd likely also need to write a SWORD
> Client which sends extra info *specific* to DSpace software.  I'd
> agree
> this is still probably a better route than "re-rolling our own", but
> it's still not necessarily an easy/quick task :)
>
> That's just my 2 cents.  I'll also admit I'm still not quite a SWORD
> expert, but I'm sure someone will correct me if anything I've said is
> inaccurate :)

I feel a little confused, I though that the only thing implemented in
the dspace-sword implementation was an integration with the Packager
framework, and specifically, just METS SIP packages.  While I'll buy
in that SWORD itself has that granularity... What is implemented for
dspace is currently somewhat minimal.

-Mark