On May 14, 2008, at 7:28 AM, Dorothea Salo wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Dorothea Salo
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Mark Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>> No its also documented in the dspace/docs section on ItemImport
>>
>> Heh. Missed it, as I've never used the register-bitstreams feature.
>>
>> As I read the docs, though, the new permissions/bitstream description
>> code only works for registered bitstreams, not imported ones. Is that
>> right?
>
> Never mind; answered my own question. This DOES NOT work for imported
> rather than registered bitstreams. Ah, well. I can edit bitstream
> descriptions manually for 300+ items; why not?
>
> Dorothea

I'm confused by your response here.  This only works with imported
items/bitstreams not with registered bitstreams.

http://dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dspace/branches/dspace-1_5_x/
dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/itemimport/ItemImport.java?
view=markup

line 1059 onward only is executed if it is a import because
registration is before it.

Note: this file is not the cleanest or most well architected but of
code... We could be doing much better at this here... but to also
make the point, we should be coming up with better import solutions
and I don't think ItemImporter or the Packager framework are
ultimately the best designed solutions, the former being overly
procedural and restricted to the command-line, the later being a bit
over architected and too complex to implement plugins for trace the
behavior within. Not only this, but (from experience) actually
producing SIPs for ingest into DSpace is itself a nightmare. We could
devote many a thread of discussion to the shortcomings and
limitations of each solution created...  at least we have  something
that does get us by for now.  Might make for a nice cleanup project
for someone out there...

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Developer and Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology