On May 26, 2010, at 5:30 PM, w0rmt wrote:

> So I took the radio our of the truck and plugged in into the control head and
> power supply for my other 800 in the house and it worked fine. Therefore the
> radio itself must be fine, meaning that the SWR of the system in the truck is
> high and/or the power supply in the truck is problematic.
>
> I did notice that when the truck is running, the power to the rig is a bit
> high (14.5V). When keyed on high power and when the truck is off, voltage
> drops from 12V to 11.6V. I think I might need to invest in a voltage
> regulator. Any suggestions?
>
> 73 de Bud
> W0RMT

Bud,

This is going to sound stupid, but is it a Chevy/GMC?  I've seen the voltage
too high when the stupid ground strap needed some TLC...

Could be a lot of reasons, but start with the simple stuff.  Check the battery
terminals for corrosion, loose connections, etc...

Clean everything up and while you're there... No-Ox/PenetrOX the whole thing...
(That's Mr. W0KU's pet peeve that I never did that on anything under the hood.
He's made me a believer over the years.  He even puts the stuff in the
fuse-holders.)

Probably worth a stop at any shop to have 'em throw the tester on the battery
that tests the whole system under load.  You may just be seeing a battery
that's headed south, too.  (If we're working off the "What changed?" theory.
What's the voltage read when the engine is off?)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot