Very true Gerry, and that's why I was surprised that the FCC went as far as
they did on 80.  I think the Law of Unintended Consequences will cause us some
grief until it's all sorted out.

From: Gerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2006/10/13 Fri AM 09:15:14 CDT
To: dx-chat@njdxa.org
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] After effects

 Ron, All this discussion centres around US use of the bands. As you push down
your phone band, hams in countries like Canada will move some of their phone
operations down as well. Your example on 80 with phone down to 3600 and digital
below that may well be more like US phone to 3600 and Canadian phone down to
3575 with digital and CW squeezed into the last 75 khz. This will no doubt lead
to competition for space as now happens on 40 around 7050-7060 between Canadian
and DX SSB and US CW. Canada does not have sub-bands and should we choose, we
can operate any mode anywhere. We use the bands based more on a "gentleman's
agreement" (no, it's doesn't always work well) and would hope these new US
assignment will work themselves out for all users of the bands. Gerry
VE6LB/VA6XDX
ARRL DXCC Card Checker
VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
(403) 251-6520
ve6lb (at) rac.ca
www.qsl.net/ve6lb/
  ----- Original Message -----   From:  Ron Notarius   W3WN   To:
dx-chat@njdxa.org   Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 7:52   AM  Subject: Re:
[DX-CHAT] After effects
Good question.

Relatively Simple answers:

(a)   this 'omnibus' ruling combined a lot of petitions and NPRM's, and there
are   are many parts that some aren't aware of
(b) the FCC did some things   unexpected, such as expanding the 80/75 phone
band all the way down to 3600   kHz, where most expected it to only go down to
3650 kHz (which, as a practical   matter, would have left a 50 kHz area for
digital modes and 100 kHz for CW   only)
(c) the FCC left some things unclear, at least to those of us who are   neither
lawyers nor bureaucrats... like exactly where do Novices and Tech+'s   operate
CW on 80, 40, & 15 now?  (I'm sure it's buried in there   somewhere, but I
haven't had a chance to dig out the specific language   yet)

and let's not forget:

(d) some people ignored most or all   of this or didn't expect (or hoped) some
or all of this wouldn't happen, and   now they have to figure out what to do
next.

73