Gerry VE6LB wrote:

I've been active since 1956 and don't recall where Canada ever "prevented" US sub band expansion. I don't believe we had the ability to do that then or now.

"Prevented", as used by Jim N4JA, may be just a slight over-statement. I would substitute "....lobbied strongly and successfully against....".

There's no question that one key reason the Lower 48 states have been deprived of 'Phone privileges below 7100 KHz was successful lobbying against that by the regular Canadian "invited Observers" at ARRL Board meetings. The Board in turn, mostly CW enthusiasts, had no problem persuading a neutral FCC to make it a formal rule.

John, NT5C.