    *From:* Zack Widup <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* dx-chat@njdxa.org <mailto:dx-chat@njdxa.org>
    *Sent:* Friday, December 28, 2007 5:00 PM
    *Subject:* RE: [DX-CHAT] FJ Can of worms

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

    > A very interesting document.
    >
    > I noticed that one item appeared to be missing... when the first
    complaints
    > surfaced, one of the "charges" was that of possibly illegal
    entry to FJ via
    > a privately chartered boat, as I recall.  No mention of that in
    the letter.
    > As a certain fictional television character used to say,
    "Fascinating."

    > The charge over the alleged misuse of the club callsign for the
    DXpedition
    > is probably the most serious complaint.  But as meticulous as
    Martti usually
    > is on planning his jaunts, I find it hard to believe that this
    detail was
    > overlooked.  And, of course, nobody's perfect, so it may have
    been a true
    > oversight on his part.

    I wondered about that myself.  As you said, "Fascinating!"

    > But... was a license issued, and if so, what call was on it?  If
    FJ/OH2AM
    > was on the license -- does that make the operation invalid?  I'm
    sure that's
    > one of the things the DXAC and DXCC desk will get to iron out, a
    task I
    > don't envy them.

    I was under the impression that as a CEPT country, anyone from
    another
    CEPT country could just go there and operate.  I could just go and
    operate
    as FJ/W9SZ.  The main contention seems to be now about the
    callsign used
    after the "FJ/".

    > Having said that... I've got to tell you, gang, that this is one
    of a string
    > of disturbing precedents that we've seen over the last few
    years.  Sort of a
    > DX'ing version of NIMBY.  Recall all the complaints from the HP
    hams over
    > the H8A trip a few years back, for one (specifically over the
    actual call on
    > the license)?  And there have been others along the same lines,
    which many
    > of you know much more about than I ever will.
    >
    > I can't blame some of the resident FJ hams from feeling that
    their triumph
    > got trumped, that their own plans to "inaugurate" the new entity
    in their
    > own way got pulled out from under them.  Under similar
    circumstances, I
    > might feel the same way.  But whatever happened (I ask
    rhetorically) to good
    > sportsmanship?
    >
    > 73, ron w3wn

    So where are they?  Why aren't they doing a similar operation when
    they
    know how much in demand the entity still is?

    73, Zack W9SZ

    <mailto:dx-chat@njdxa.org>

Ronald Loneker Sr.- KA2BZS
#1DXCC Honor Roll - 9BDXCC