I do daily incremental backups every night and a full backup once a week
to an external HDD.   And in real-time I backup to a second computer on
a simple home network.  The utility I use is SYNCBACK SE from 2brightsparks.
The program has been mentioned here before.  Works great and has saved
my butt a number of times.  It does many great things but for me the
learning
curve was quite steep.  YMMV.

Just my $0.02
                                      73 de Walt - K2WK