I'll add another comment.

Having opened my big fingers with comment (below) that everything was OK
when I set preferences to FT2000, I now amplify the problems.

I did find the FT5000 rig support choice in V8.05, and chose it in radio
control section of Preferences.

Whenever I set QSO | Add realtime using this selection and the FT5000 rig ,
I get error message from DX4WIN that says "radio timed out".

End of story.

And, having looked very carefully at the DX4WIN operation with the FT2000
rig choice in Preferences ( I went back an chose it in Preferences), I now
find that the PSK31 mode (which I seldom if ever use) does NOT set the
DX4WIN "mode" window. All other modes (AM, FM, CW, SSB, RTTY) get set
properly.

I realize I am not matching the rig to the rig radio control selection in
preferences, but it is odd that all the other modes get recognized.

So,

1, I was wrong in saying things were fine with FT2000 selected as radio
control (while operating the FT5000)

2. Choosing the FT5000 as radio control rig in Preferences does not work at
all.

I'm puzzled.

73 de NN3V