Hello,
the zoom factor in most cases, just skip reading some pixels but they are still sensed out by the camera. So the same overall duration is normal with such a method. Specially for 480xX, the full resolution is used but with windowing. additionally requiring 480 pixel on a line with a zoom of 8 make no sense. The image is 480X640 so if you want 480 pixels the only zoom that make sense is 1. Not sure about the jitter, maybe some counter goes out of scope or something else. Maybe other bugs are still in, like counters or buffers limited to 256.
in
http://www.gctronic.com/doc/index.php/E-Puck#Still_images
the driver might be slightly different to solve that issue, but it was some time ago ;-).

good luck, and let us know if you solved the issue.
Regards,
Gilles