Hello,

After playing the "telephone game" for over two weeks, I finally have
something to work with: the e1000 sample code.

Seeing how this is provided as a sample (and will need to be ported to
the e1000e driver), I thoroughly looked through the code trying to
understand what each change in the patch does. During this process there
were few things I was unclear about (which made me a little hesitant to
to load the driver for the fear of damaging the card), and would
appreciate if someone can help me understand them.

1. It seems that SDP0 and SDP2 control the Bypass mode. Since these are
software defined, and in the patch I did not see anything that
initializes them, I was unsure if they will act as expected. Also, when
porting to e1000e, is there something regarding this that needs to be
set?

2. How do these pins behave? I understand that the "directionality" bit
controls whether they drive the "data" value or not, but what does the
"data" bit really stand for? When setting sdpBits (2x2bit values), what
do they mean?

3. How do the SDP bits in the control registers affect the physical
card? I am assuming they control the 16 relays, but is that the case?

4. Looking at the bypass tool from a little higher design point of view,
what are the two interfaces passed as parameters? Are they the interface
which will be connected with the bypass (e.g. eth0, eth1; seems
unlikely), or are they the "input" interfaces (e.g. eth0, eth2)?

5. Just to verify, the e1000e driver automatically sets the mac_type of
the device at devinit (unlike the e1000 driver)?

6. From looking at the code, it seems that the "sample tool" can be used
to activate/deactivate the bypass mode upon request. Is there a
recommended method/sample of how it can be enabled upon power down?

I understand that some of these issues might appear to be obvious, but
we only received the sample code with no documentation at all. Any help
is much appreciated.

Regards,
Ilija