My apologies but I've been unable to get back to this issue.

After reviewing the thread I don't see anything about steps to reproduce the
problem.  I understand that you're seeing dropped packets with the Xl710 with
various versions of the i40e driver while the X520 with the ixgbe driver does
not drop packets under the same load.

I don't' see any description of the type of traffic load that is causing the
problem.  That would help me to reproduce the issue.

Keep in mind that dropped packets in and of itself is not a bug.  It may mean
that the X520 and the ixgbe driver are more mature and have had more "tuning"
and thus work better under the type of traffic load you have on your network.
Thus it is important that we understand the type of traffic you're seeing on
your network so that we can work on making the XL710 and i40e driver
performance on par with the X520 and the ixgbe driver.

One other thing.  Below I notice this:

> I tested this one:
> ethtool -C eth3 adaptive-rx off adaptive-tx off rx-usecs 2 tx-usecs 0

I believe that you would be better off using higher values.  Really low values
mean the HW interrupt will fire more often - instead you should allow the soft
IRQ polling to keep processing packets.

- Greg