The in-kernel driver for e1000 will be the most up-to-date driver.  The
out-of-tree (OOT) driver on sourceforge will be older than what is in that
particular kernel.  Are you sure you need the e1000 driver?  You might need the
e1000e driver, which is the follow on to e1000 and supports newer client
silicon.

If you have the device id (it can be retrieved from 'lspci'), we can verify
which driver you should be using for your ethernet device on the Dell laptop.