In Ubuntu (or Kubuntu), there are 2 kernel header packages that you need to
install, they are linux-headers-<kernel version> and linux-headers-<kernel
version>-generic.  After installing both, if you still do not have a autoconf.h
file, then you will need to download the entire kernel source.

It is also recommended (by Ubuntu) to install the build-essentials package.